COVID-19 Pandemic - City of Safford News, Alerts and Programs
The City of Safford is making every effort to be of assistance to our residents as we continue to be affected by the COVID-19 Pandemic. While our ability to provide services has been impacted by the COVID-19 Pandemic, particularly by Federal and State guidelines designed to stem the spread of the disease, we continue to work with residents to ensure that we are doing as much as possible to support our community.
Below you will find information regarding changes we have made covering a variety of service areas as well any programs or initiatives designed to offer assistance to local residents.
The impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic, and the response to it from various organizations, is a fluid situation that requires that we continually monitor events and adjust as necessary. We therefore recommend that you visit our website often in order to get the latest information regarding those events and any potential impacts on our community. We also recommend that you visit other websites at the federal, state and local level to stay as informed as possible.
Thank you for your patience during these extraordinary times and stay safe and healthy.
• All City buildings have reopened to the public as of June 1, 2020.
• The City’s Facebook page will often contain useful information regarding city programs and services, as well as any information from other agencies at the state or federal level
• Public meetings may still occur, but access will be limited due to physical distancing guidelines that discourage gathering of more than 9 people. Public comment will still be accepted, but may require submission, electronically, prior to the meeting.
BUSINESS LICENSE FEE WAIVER
The City of Safford is offering a one-time fee waiver starting May of 2020 and ending June of 2021. All businesses required to have a City of Safford business license will be eligible for a one-time waiver of the fee ($50). However, businesses are still required to renew their license, and submit all required paperwork.
If you need assistance regarding cemetery plots, please call 928-432-4172 to make an appointment or stop by the Public Works Office located at 220 W Discovery Park Boulevard.
CITY COUNCIL MEETINGS
City Council meetings are open to the public, following physical distancing guidelines. We will continue providing remote access to the meetings “via electronic means.” For detailed instructions, please check current agenda here.
All facility rentals are suspended until further notice.
Beginning Monday, June 1st, the Library will reopen to the public with some restrictions in place. Patrons may use the library to check out materials, use the public computers or WiFi, and make copies. GED services will also resume.
Hours of Operation
Senior Hours: 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
Curbside Services: 10:00 am-6:00 p.m.
All Ages: 12:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m.
• Building capacity is limited to 18 patrons.
• No extended stays or social gatherings are permitted, and patrons will be asked to leave after one hour.
• All computer sessions are limited to 45 minutes per patron, per day.
• Children under 8 must be accompanied by an adult.
• Library patrons are asked to maintain physical distancing of at least six feet.
Summer Reading Program will start Monday, June 8th. Patrons of all ages can log reading minutes to earn prizes and awards, compete in challenges such as scavenger hunts and virtual LEGO building challenges, book giveaways and more. Adult Reading Challenge Bingo cards will also be available online or in person starting June 8th. Sign up online at http://cityofsafford.us/693/Summer-Reading-Program or pick up your reading logs at the library.
The City parks, playgrounds and restrooms are opened and sanitized daily. Firth Park restrooms are closed every evening and weekends. Social/physical distancing is encouraged when using our parks and facilities.
The Safford Pool opened to the public on May 29, 2020. Due to COVID-19 concerns, the City of Safford is taking extra precautions to ensure the safety of its staff and patrons at the Safford Pool this summer. Swim Team and Pool Party Reservations will not be permitted this season, however we are excited to announce we will still be offering swim lessons. To help encourage social distancing, classes for swim lessons will be smaller this year and some classes will require a parent/guardian to be present with the child in the water to limit the amount of person to person contact. While classes may be smaller, they will feel more personalized for your swimmer, and we are also adding more times for classes so that the number of slots available is still the same as usually offered.
All staff is encouraged to practice social/physical distancing. For information on social/physical distancing, click here.
UTILITY BILLING AND SERVICES
With the reopening of City Hall, the City of Safford will be taking necessary precautions to limit the spread of COVID-19 within our community. Utility Billing Services will be taking these necessary precautions when City Hall opens:
- Two (2) Citizen Service window’s will be open to help customers.
- Only five (5) customers will be allowed in the Citizen Service area. This includes two (2) customers at a Citizen Service window, and three (3) in the lobby. Decals will be placed on the floor indicating the proper distance (six feet) between people. Temporary shade will be provided for customers waiting outdoors.
- Plexi glass has been installed in Customer Service. Although masks are not required, we recommend the use of masks while in our facility.
- All pens, equipment, desks, glass, and the front doors to City Hall will be periodically sprayed and cleaned.
- Signs will be placed in front of City Hall explaining other options available to make payments and connect/disconnect services.
- Citizen Services will continue to offer the services utilized during COVID-19, such as Drop-box payments, online payments with Xpress Bill Pay, over-the-phone payments, and payments at Walmart, and online connections and disconnections.
Social Security – Late Fee Waiver
In addition to the above benefits, Council also agreed to institute a program that will waive late fees for individuals that receive their social security checks after the 20th of the month, the day utility bill payment is due. Participants will be required to utilize automatic payment to receive the waiver. For more information regarding this program please contact customer service at 928-432-4060.
Other payment options include:
• Drop boxes: located at City Hall: Envelopes will be provided; please include name, service address or account number and contact phone number
• Payment by mail: City of Safford utilizes a lock box service through Chase Bank, please mail all payments to PO Box 29075, Phoenix, AZ 85038-9075. Include name, account number or service address and contact phone number with your payment
• WalMart Money Center: A small fee of $1 will be applied at time of payment and normally takes 3-5 days for processing (or $1.50 for one day processing), please have your account number to ensure proper processing
• Pay by phone: Call 1-877-420-5861
To avoid disconnection for nonpayment please contact customer service at 928-432-4060. The City of Safford understands our community has been negatively impacted by COVID-19 and we want to help our customers during these difficult times.
For all other inquiries related to utility services including connections and disconnections, please contact Customer Service at 928-432-4060 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For faster service please have your account number available.
As of June 1 2020, the City of Safford will resume normal pumping schedules for all grease interceptors.
For inquiries regarding any other City of Safford services please contact the appropriate department directly by phone or call 928-432-4106 for general inquiries.
For up to date information on our services please visit www.cityofsafford.us.